SSD And Veterans Benefits
Did you know that if you are disabled and served in the military, you can collect both Social Security benefits and veterans benefits? In fact, at McKown, Whitehurst & Myers, LLP, we recommend you do so because your monthly benefits may increase. However, it is not as simple as applying for both. There are issues with timing and, of course, eligibility. We can help.
Our Indiana benefits law firm has extensive experience working with clients in both Social Security Disability (SSD) and veterans benefits matters. We have a thorough understanding of the different standards between the two systems. We can effectively manage the application, review and appeals processes for both disability claims.
What You Should Know About Filing For VA And SSA Benefits
- If applying for benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), apply for Social Security Disability as well. SSD benefits are partially based on your contributions to the system while you were in the workforce. Waiting too long to submit your claim may cause you to lose your eligibility status.
- If you have service-connected VA benefits and are eligible for SSD, you can receive the full amount of benefits from each organization.
- If you have been approved to receive nonservice-connected VA benefits, every dollar of SSD will reduce the amount of VA benefits you receive.
- Supplemental Security Income benefits are need-based. Your VA benefits may disqualify you from receiving SSI.
- A successful SSD claim may trigger a successful VA benefits decision.
These are just some of the complexities with the VA and SSA. That is why hiring an attorney at McKown, Whitehurst & Myers, LLP can be advantageous. Our experience with both benefits helps us maximize your potential outcome so you can move forward without worry.
Contact Our Office For A Free Initial Consultation
Talk to our experienced Indiana SSD and veterans benefits attorneys during a free consultation by contacting our Marion law firm online or calling us toll free from anywhere in Indiana at 765-293-7901. We represent clients from Marion, Fort Wayne, Gas City, Wabash, Hartford City, Jonesboro, North Manchester, Alexandria, Huntington and throughout Indiana.
- Veterans Disability
- Social Security Disability (SSD)
- Social Security Disability – An Overview
- What Are Social Security Disability Benefits?
- Who Is Eligible For Social Security Disability Benefits?
- Social Security Disability Claims Process
- The Decision And Appeal
- Frequently Asked Questions About Social Security Disability
- Social Security Disability Resource Links
- Personal Injury