Disabled And Unable To Get Your Benefits?

We Can Help. 765-668-7531

What You Need To Know About The Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is an American law that provides education benefits to military veterans who have been on active duty service after September 10, 2001. This bill was passed and signed into law in 2008. Applicants must meet several requirements to qualify. 

Benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill 

The Post-9/11 GI bill covers a veteran’s training and educational assistance for up to three years. Veterans can receive the following benefits: 

  • Full tuition and education fee coverage up to the national level of $26,042.81 as of the 2021 academic school year 
  • Monthly housing allowance depending on school location 
  • A maximum of $1,000 annually for books and supplies 
  • A one-time relocation allowance 
  • Eligibility for The Yellow Ribbon Program, which offers partial support to enroll in a private or out-of-state university 

Who is eligible? 

Veterans are eligible for Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits if they served for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001. However, your benefits depend on the time you spent in active duty. Veterans seeking education benefits should be aware of the following percentage that they can receive:

  • 100% if you served at least 36 months or have received a Purple Heart after September 11, 2001
  • 100% if you have been on active service for a consecutive 30 days and were discharged due to a service-related disability 
  • 90% benefits if you served for 30 to 36 months 
  • 80% if you served for 24 to 30 months 
  • 70% f you served for 18 to 24 months 
  • 60% if you served for 6 to 18 months 
  • 50% if you served for more than 90 days and less than six months

How to apply for the Post 9/11 GI Bill 

Veterans can apply online or at their regional VA office. You can also call 1-888-GI BILL-1 to ask Veteran Affairs to mail the application form. 

The online application process is fairly straightforward. You’ll fill out a form asking you to provide information about the following:

  • Military background 
  • Education history 
  • School you intend to enroll in 
  • Social Security number
  • Bank account number 

The VA will send a certificate of eligibility spelling out what you’re eligible to get. You will then need to present this document to the school you enroll in.