Disabled And Unable To Get Your Benefits?

We Can Help. 765-668-7531

How To Change Your GI Bill School Or Program

Veterans and their survivors can change their GI Bill program or school under several circumstances. However, there are some considerations that a veteran should take. Read on to learn more. 

Why request a change to your GI Bill benefits?

You can request to change your GI Bill if the following factors are true:

  • You want to transfer to a different school 
  • You’re changing your profession, education or vocational goal 
  • You’ve left your training program or school due to poor progress or conduct and you want to reenter the same program 
  • You were receiving educational benefits as a veteran and wish to receive similar benefits while on active duty 

How to request a change to your GI Bill and other education benefits

The following is a breakdown of how you can request a change to your GI Bill benefits:

  •  Veterans or service members should complete VA Form 22-1995 online.
  • Dependents of veterans or service members receiving benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill should fill out and submit VA Form 22-1995 online.
  • Dependents under the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) or Fry Scholarship should complete VA Form 22-5495 online

What are the requirements for changing your GI Bill program or school

Once you’ve determined your eligibility and type of benefits you wish to transfer to, you will need the following information to complete your request:

  • Social Security number 
  • Bank account direct deposit information 
  • VA file number 

You may also need to present information about your service, training plans or education goals and current or former training program or school. You must also have basic information about the program or school you want to join. Surviving dependents should provide the deceased veteran’s VA file number or Social Security number and basic information about their service. 

You can send your request by mail, online, in person or with the help of an accredited representative. 

What programs are available in a GI Bill 

There are several programs available through the GI Bill, including: 

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty and Selected Reserve
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Education Program
  • Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program 

Each of these programs provides different educational benefits and has varying eligibility requirements. Understanding these aspects is crucial to determine whether they will help you achieve your goals and whether you are eligible for the program you wish to change to.