Practice Areas James A. McKown Jr.

Doctors tend to be very supportive of patients, but they are often unfamiliar with the way the Social Security Administration works. A doctor may provide clear documentation that says it is his or her opinion that you are disabled. Unfortunately, in the eyes of the Social Security Administration, "disability" is a legal term, not a medical opinion.

At the Law Office of Jim McKown, we will help you work with your doctor. A key part of Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) eligibility is not just being disabled, but proving to the administration that you are disabled. We will educate you and your doctor about providing documentation that shows the Social Security Administration that your medical condition meets their definition of "disabled." Contact our Indiana SSD lawyer to secure the benefits you are entitled to.

Working With Your Doctor in Indiana for SSD

Opinion vs. Fact

Many people believe that a note from the doctor stating that they are disabled is sufficient. It is not. This is just an opinion. In order to be effective, the documentation the doctor provides needs to be factual. For example, it must state that you must keep your feet elevated above your heart for two out of every eight hours, and it must state why. These are the exact details that we can bring into the disability hearing and, with the help of the vocational expert, prove that you are disabled and that you should get the requested benefits.

We Will Help Your Doctor Help You

We will prepare questionnaires and other documents that you can take to your doctor that will direct him or her to use the necessary factual statements. With more than 30 years of experience on our side, we know how to work with doctors. We understand and respect what they do, and we are more than happy to help them help you.

Contact a Marion Social Security Disability Requirements Attorney

Talk to our Marion attorney today about working with your doctor. You can reach us toll free from anywhere in Indiana at or contact our SSD law firm online.